Thursday, February 19, 2009

Random First Thoughts on NLOTH


Note: I’m no music critic and haven’t read the tons of reviews and background info that’s already out there on U2's latest, 'No Line on the Horizon.' This is pure first-impression, just first-listen reactions to the music alone.

1. NLOTH: interestingly, somewhere around the 2:45 mark, reminded me of my friend Nathan’s crooning. You’re in good company, Nathan. Then as it went, to me, there was a harking back to younger days of U2. Very classic, yet very now. Timeless.

2. Magnificent: Bono’s simply at the top of his game. His voice is large and beautiful in this track. Otherworldly.

3. Moment of Surrender: This one just made me introspective. It’s very personal. They reach inward both with voices and music. A little close to home.

4. Unknown Caller: Guitars—just wow.


5. I’ll Go Crazy if I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight: While the lyrical style is so familiar, Bono sounds like he’s really trying some new things in the sound of this. It’s a little un-U2, in that it’s got a sound that is more within the now, as opposed to a classical, timeless sound. Love it.

6. Get on Your Boots: intentional single, but fun. Crowd-pleaser like ‘Elevation.’

7. Stand Up Comedy: This one’s really fun. Lots of smiles. One to crank up. [Edit: A brilliant line--"Stop helping God across the road like a little old lady."]


8. FEZ-Being Born: I think I’ll have this on repeat. Just phenomenal. Surreal. Probably my favorite.

9. White as Snow: First impression from the title is a biblical reference. And listening, there’s almost something Christmasy in its sound; reminded me of “O Come, O Come Emmanuel.” Beautiful.

10. Breathe: Teensy bit Matisyahu-esque in the beginning with the rapid-fire words. I’ll be blasting this in the car with all the windows down this summer.

11. Cedars of Lebanon: All about the words, like the album as a whole. This one just keeps you thinking. Required listening for every world leader.

Overall, this seems a more reflective album, something a 14-year-old who’s unfamiliar with U2 would be out-of-the-loop on regarding the band, and thus turned off by the group. That high-schooler would be missing out. A diehard U2 fan listens to this and is brought back to U2’s beginning, and to their experimental period, and to the last couple albums. This is a culmination, and a stretching still further forward. They’re simply at the top of their game. This is large music that is beyond the time it’s in, beyond the trends, beyond the genre. It is no mere entertainment.

Five years ago with the release of ‘How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb,’ I tried to be realistic: I said, U2’s got a good strong ten more years, and then they should go when they’re at the top, and not become a (albeit respected) curiosity like the Rolling Stones. Well, let’s tack on another ten years now.
(Special thanks to Beth for allowing me to listen in.)

No comments: